rebuild or replace?

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:51:57 -0600

My mail server hiccuped, I think, and lost this message that I sent last
Thursday.  My apologies if it finally appears and this is a duplicate.
----Joel

Gordon,
In my institutional experience, I found great resistance to rebuilding.
So many professors and administrators were familiar with taking the
lowest bid and getting really junky "rebuilding" work.

First, it is important to write up specifications when sending out for
bids that represent quality parts and quality work.  Even a stipulation
dealing with rebuilding experience can be included.  Just because
someone once put a set of keytops onto a <insert your favorite cheap
grand here> piano does not qualify him/her to rebuild a Steinway L.

Secondly, you will need to spend some time writing up the
specifications.  If you are on staff, that is no problem.  If, however,
you are on contract, paid by the tuning or repair, you should be paid
for that time.  Be careful of doing it for free; you may not be around
to savor the fruits of your labor.  I don't mean to imply that you,
personally, will be let go, but contract tuners always should be aware
of this possibility.

Hope this helps.

Joel Rappaport
Rappaport's Piano Workshop