Static SAT

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 18:11:24 -0500 (EST)

On Dec. 3 Sy Zabrocki asked for ideas on how to control the static
electricity problem inherent at times with electronic tuning instruments
(SATs, etc.).  Several of you gave suggestions that are probably good.
Since this type of intermittent electronic failure can eventually destroy
sensitive components such as some IC's, many electronics (and lab
instrument) warehouses sell liquids in spray bottles or gallon jugs called
Staticide.  Normally, one lightly sprays the outside of the instrument
case early in the dry season and the coating (you can't see it) lasts for
about 6 months so that static will be dissipated before it ever has a
chance of building up.  Also, some European instrument manufacturers
(Mettler-Toledo, etc.) are now placing a small protected bag of a
Polonium (slightly radioactive) isotope inside their units to keep the
static under control for several years.  Perhaps the grocery store static
control products in the laundry dept. might work, I don't know.  I do
know that the industrial products like Staticide work fine for
electronics.  It is not recommended to allow static to build up on
sensitive electronic boards, as damage will result sooner or later.
In my experience, certain circuits tend to be more sensitive to static
than others. Especially ones with a high price tag, like the SAT's.

Fred Scoles, RPT