famous tuner/techs

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 08:55:02 -0600

Dear Daryl,

It has been my experience that it is the smaller recording companies, such
as Denon, and the independently produced recordings that most frequently
provide credits for the technician and also sometimes for the piano
builder, at least with classical recording companies.

This is information that I appreciate, especially where the instrument was
a real challenge, such as the recordings by Tan on the original Beethoven
Broadwood a few years ago.

On the other hand, I have been a part of some recording sessions where I
was grateful not to have my name mentioned, especially one using two solo
fortepianos that had to be kept in tune with one another. This was in my
pre-Accutuner days, and we had to turn off the AC (during a Texas summer!)
in order to record; thus, the pianos were constantly drifting out of tune
during our 40 or 50 minute window of usable recording time.  The sessions
lasted well into the early morning hours.  As a sop, I was promised credit
on the album label, but fortunately that particular CD has yet to make it
to the record store.

Best holiday wishes to all!

Charles

  >Dear list,
>
>Sometimes when I buy a recording and read the credits (just finished
>listening to David Lanz' latest), they will mention the piano techs name.
> I think it is great of the artist to do that.  I'll bet the tuner doesn't
>mind either.
>
>Do we have any famous techs on the list that would like to reply?
>
>Mine would be a Russian composer by the name of Kostia, and it was only one
>song on a Disklavier grand.
>
>BTW, the thing about the names, you will see that my business name is
>different from my real name.  Nobody ever gets Matthies right, but every
>body knows Johnny Mathis!
>
>One last thing.  I subscribe to a few Listserv lists.  The people in this
>list are no doubt, the most considerate and respectful.  Nice to be a part
>of it!
>
>Happy Holidays,
>Daryl Matthies
>Mathis Piano Service