M&H Screw Stringer

Dan Litwin 71213.1421@compuserve.com
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:31:30 -0500

Does anyone out there have experience with Mason & Hamlin Screw Stringers?

The one I have come across is an 1896 Grand.  Potential beauty.

One of the tuning mechanisms needs some work.  It won't tune high enough to
take up the stretching that the string has undergone.  Previous tech has
put washers on the screw to give more tuning range.  But these washers have
now broken.  I will need to unscrew the tuning nut completely, and put some
new washers on to restore the increased tuning range.

Now the problem:  If I disconnect the the tuning nuts, will I be able to
simply re-connect the string end of it by hand?  Will I need any special
tools?

All discussion welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Litwin