Credits for Techs

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@nyct.net
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:58:55 -0500

Dear List -

I've been credited on numerous Grammy-award winning albums, going back
to 1984, most of them with Pat Metheny Group, more recently with
releases on the small label Passport Records (Alan Pasqua's recording).
I've also done the tuning for a small part of the Chick Corea/Bobby
McFerrin Mozart Album (whoever did the main tuning for it is a superb
tuner!!!), and for the concert video that was shown recently on PBS for
fund raising.

It's a great thrill to be able to review one's work in this manner - a
CD lasts forever and all of that. I've heard the music on the radio, and
in bars. Once, even on an elevator!

I think that the piano technician should always be given written credit
for every concert and recording where ever it's feasible to do so. Heck,
even the most junior engineer is usually mentioned; I know that piano
tuning / regulating / voicing for this kind of work entails at least as
much dedication, effort and creativity. Probably more. Poor tuning is
the one thing that you can't "fix in the mix."

To all of those who are also doing such beautiful work that we can all
enjoy again and again, may I say "Thank you!"

Sincerely,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
aquinas@nyct.net