Soundboard installations

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:49:17 -0500

I am rebuilding a 1904 Steinway "O" which is exceptionally attractive, but needs
a new soundboard.

Advice from a highly regarded source is to send the piano to Steinway for a
"Belly-1" job.  Steinway has advised me that this job will take 2-4 mos and cost
$6,800 plus transport.

Other options I have considered are: having the soundboard replaced locally, or
doing the replacement myself with a "kit" soundboard from Benvenuto in
Philadelphia.  Locals will charge a few thousand less than Steinway for the same
work, and take about the same length of time.  A kit installation will be even
less expensive.  Although I have never done a soundboard, I have an extensive
background in woodworking and fabrication, and a well equipped shop.

All of the locals I have talked to have discouraged the idea of going to
Steinway.  They have hinted that Steinway just does not do quite the quality job
I should expect.  Obviously, the locals have their own agenda, but each is a
well regarded technician whose opinions deserve serious consideration.

Here are my questions, reply directly to <waco@ari.net> if you think your
answers will offend anyone:

1.  In your personal experience, what kind of job does Steinway Restorations do?
 Can they be relied upon to keep a schedule?

2.  Can kit soundboards be done sucessfully with high quality results?  What
results have others had with Benvenuto soundboards?

3.  Is the additional investment in the Steinway name worth it?   If I use
Steinway, the piano would have to be valued at about $25,000.  If I install the
soundboard myself it would go for more like $18,500, other options would leave
the value somewhere in between.

4.  Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

Frank Weston