RAIL PIN REMOVAL/REPLACEMENT

NBarr18195@aol.com NBarr18195@aol.com
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 01:41:01 -0500

The easiest method I have found to remove key pins is to pry them out using
side cutting pliars to grip them and a hammer shank or something similar as a
fulcrum resting on the rail to pivot the pliars on so the lifting force on
the pin is straight up. This will give you great leverage and it is not
difficult to lift them straight up so you do not damage to holes. I like the
idea presented of using a drill press to insert he new pins but another way
is to drill a hole in the center of a hardwood dowel equal to the height that
you wish the pins to stand. Using this dowel as a driving punch all the way
to the rail will leave the pins standing the exact distance that the hole was
drilled. These two ideas would be a lot easier to demonstrate then to
describe but I hope that you can visualize how I do this.

Norm Barrett