Windows-based Tuning Program

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:22:07 -0500

Dave Stocker wrote:

snip
>There are now very few PCs, even laptops, that do not come with full
>multimedia accoutrements. [Multimedia means sound, certain video
>requirements, and usually a CD-ROM drive.] Dean has had more experience, I
>gather, programming Macs, and so chose them for the platform for some rather
>amazing whiz-bangs.
>
>Had I spoken with him before he began, I would have pleaded with him to do it
>IBM compatible. A harder job because of fluctuating standards, but I ain't
>gonna buy a Mac. And Apple's share of the market has dropped below 8%, last I
>heard.
snip

It's true that Wintel machines have a larger market share. If market share
were everything there would be no market for BMW, Saab, Mercedes, etc. that
have very low market share compared to Ford & Chevrolet.

Most high end Pre-press work is done on Macs and most recording studios use
Macs for sequencing. The reason for this is because the Macs excel in
multi-media. This was the case even when Macs were priced higher than
Wintel machines. Currently you can get a Mac of compareable processor power
for the same or less than a Pentiuim based computer from Compac, Gateway,
etc.

I think Dean Reyburn I think felt that the Mac offered the best platform
for his program due to the capabilites of the Mac. I run Cybertuner on a
lowly Performer LC575 with a 33mhz 68030 microprocessor and it works great.
I recently picked up a used PowerPC based Powerbook 2300 with 32 megs of
RAM and a 1.2 gig hard drive for $1600. This has a built in mic, needs no
sound card and is smaller than my Daytimer.

A recent editorial on KYW newsradio puts it well I think.
By KYW's Rich Levin

"It's that time of the year when parents everywhere are thinking about
giving that special someone a computer for the holidays. Many first-time
computer buyers have a natural attraction to the Apple Macintosh, but are
afraid a commitment to the Mac will leave them out in the cold.

Some facts: Over 60% of Internet Web sites are created and run on a
Macintosh. More K-12 schools, colleges, universities, and scientific
institutions use Macs than any other platform. And nearly every magazine,
advertisement, and multimedia title is created on a Macintosh. Even
Microsoft uses Macs for some of their publishing and multimedia content.

This is not to say that a Windows PC is a bad thing -- it's not -- but Macs
remain the easiest, most reliable, most productive computers available
today. You've heard the complaints from Windows users who can't get their
PCs to work right. When's the last time you heard a Mac user complain?
Think about that before you buy."

Another interesting blurb I picked up on a mailing list that clarifies the
issue of the differences between ease of use that still exist between the
Mac vs. Windows 95. (The Phaser IIPX is a color laser printer from
Techtronics.)

"Here is an actual email message from a mixed Mac/PC shop (a major
software developer) listing the steps needed to use a new color printer.
Save it for the next time someone says Windows is "just like a Mac!"
Names have been changed to protect the guilty. Apply liberally to the
infested area of your organization. :)"

xxxxxxxxx