cutting felt.

Bob Simmons bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 00:12:01 -0800 (PST)

> Everyone,
>     I just read a post about ripping felt for rebushing a guide rail.
> PLEASE, don't do this untill you've tried my wife's new toy. She is in

Greg,

My understanding of the reason to rip rather than cut the felt for
bushings, is that the torn fibers will mesh better as the two sides
overlap. The clean cut is actually undesireable for this purpose. I've
used a cutting tool (the Olaf cutter) similar to what you describe, and
you are absolutely correct -- it's a great tool. Absolutely a must for
cutting key bushings and buckskin strips. But for flange and guide rail
rebushings I guess I find the ripping theory credible.

Bob Simmons, RPT
CSU San Bernardino