geometry/friction

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 13:22:29 -0600

At 12:37 PM 1/23/96 -0700, stanwood wrote:

>Another factor to consider is effeciency of the coinciding arcs:
>

>2. The knuckle/jack contact point is purposefully out of align to create
>ineffeciency which expresses itself as friction which is built in for a
>feeling of control.  If the spread distance and orientation is normal the
>above figures will work best as QUIDELINES.

If this bit of geometric detail regarding the knuckle/jack contact point is
so brilliant, than why are we compelled to be so liberal with the dry
teflon powder?

I suggest it is because the heavier parts on modern pianos have created a
problem where previously none existed.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu