Samick quality

Dave Swartz DMS2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 22:19:58 -0500 (EST)

At 06:05 PM 2/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Y'all:

  Believe me, I can and do  sell many other makes, but I
>know of no
>other make that offers such good value for the money.  And I will be happy to
>discuss the merits of vacuum-forged plates, surface-tension soundboards, and
>delignite pinblocks  --  even with such world-reknowned authorities as the
>highly
>respected Larry Fine1
>
>OK, everybody with 2 cents worth of comment, chime in!
>
>Jim DeRocher,MMPTA, RPT, PhD,PSO
>aka TunerJim

Chi-ching...here's my 2 cents (I don't know if its worth anything).  I have
serviced around 20 Samicks on a regular basis for the past 3 or 4 years.  I
tend to agree with you TunerJim on the value for the money.  The surfaced
tension soundboards and delignite blocks are fertile grounds for future
techno-debate.

The Samicks for the most part have held up quite well in tuning stability,
especially those with DC's.  A few have had problems in action pinning
(migrating), loosened screws from time to time (hammer flange & wippen), and
the usual adjust the pedals for the 100th time (kind of like Kawai UST's and
Yamaha P22's).  Overall, the pianos are consistent and are fairly close
together in age.  Here in the freezer (Minnesota), client's homes fluxuate
in humidity and temperature to the n-th degree.  I am curious as to how the
instruments will withstand the test of time.  If a Beta test center for
pianos ever came to be, this is the place.

Current temperature: 29 below zero....and falling...NO, WIND CHILL IS NOT
FACTORED INTO THIS CALCULATION.  May fall to 35 to 38 below deep into the
night....furnace set to warp speed.

Needless to say, don't leave your chemicals and glues out in the car
tonight!  This is not a put-down, this is reality!  (he he) Sorry KAM

TooooooooonerDave
dms2000@pioneerplanet.infi.net

End of PIANOTECH Digest 205
.