hammer butt springs

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Fri, 02 Feb 1996 16:26:15 -0500 (EST)

     Bob, it sounds like the spring material has experienced corrosive
     effects -- not moth damage to the loops. Although San Berdoo is
     inland, could the piano have been nearer the ocean during a
     portion of its life? Either that, or desert rats from Sidewinder
     road have "lubricated" the springs. Either way, sounds like the
     spring cords are being "sawed" in half.

     You can get "silk" cord from the supply houses. Or, if the butts
     are the type with butt plates, you may just want to buy
     replacement flanges (with the cords) from Yomama or Schaff. It
     might be less labor intensive. Either way, try to
     identify/eliminate the cause while working on the effect.

     Jim Harvey RPT
I've got a Yamaha console (about 13 yrs. old) that has suddenly
developed a problem with the loops, which hold the hammer return springs,
starting to break. (Schwander style, you know). Why would these be
breaking? I'm wondering if the material of the loops is not treated with
moth repellant, and if so may have been weakened by little critters? Would
some type of corrosion on the springs have begun to act as an abrasive?

By the way, what material should I replace these with? I've used dental
floss for repairs, but I'm sure that's not the appropriate material
(actually I'm not sure, but I'm guessing). But first I want to have at
least a theory of what has caused the problem so it doesn't come back as
soon as I'm done.