Voicing depth

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT 75601.2765@compuserve.com
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 10:30:49 -0500 (EST)

Allen writes:

>I've been reading Reblitz about voicing hammers, in which he says to
>needle deep on the sides and shallow on the striking surface.  For
>deep voicing, he says to have the needle sticking out 3/4", and for
>shallow he says to have it sticking out 1/16".  Are those two
>distances the depth of the needling, i.e. the needles should go all
>the way in?  If not, how deep should they go in?

Reblitz is usually a good starting point, he's one of the more accurate
writers.  I voice lots of Yamahoper pianos, and had a class with the head
factory voicer from Yamaha about 5 years ago.  He said the needles should
protrude about 8 to 9 millimeters from the voicing tool (Yamaha type is
best, at least for Y's- Schaff).  You also need a voicing block for
grands to hold up the hammers.  Make sure you hold three of so hammers at
a time when you plunge the needles into the felt, so you don't wobble the
centers!  You can start with 1 needle if you are not used to this, if you
want, that just takes longer.  I do lots of real fine voicing on concert
grands with just 1 needle.

If you are new to voicing, carry a few bandaids, and lots of extra
needles with you.  I use a regular #7 sewing needle available anywhere.

I have used this 8 - 9mm length when I have to do *off-crown* deep
needling with great success since then. He used 3 needles tho, and I just
use 2, since it's easier to get them in (and harder to miss).  For hard
hammers I start with the needles 6" to 8" away from the hammer and plunge
them all the way in hard.  This takes a little practice aiming, until you
are a good shot, you will "inoculate" yourself a few times.   For shallow
needling on the crown, use 1/16th inch or 1 mm, with 3 needles.  Set the
needles so they protrude only the amount you want to penetrate, that way
you get a consistent result.  You can needle right over the crown with
this depth (no deeper than 1mm!), and it mellows the piano right down for
soft to medium playing volume.

If the hammers are really hard, like Keith, I have used pliers as a last
ditch effort to mellow down the piano.  Vice grips work best for this,
you can set the squeeze pressure with the knob.

Voicing is one of the things that has always frustrated me because it is
so subjective.  Never the less I do a lot of it, since I tune for quite a
few concerts, and symphony work.  Keith is right, different hammers voice
differently, Steinways a really different from Yamahopers.

I've been working on an adaption the technology in my Chameleon 2 digital
audio system, (part of Tuning Manager for Macintosh). I am creating a
audio frequency spectrograph that would be a great help in bringing
voicing into the 21st century (its in the 19th right now).  Here's how it
works:

The tuner plays the selected note on the piano for 5-6 seconds.  The
computer then displays a graph showing the relative strength of each
relevant partial in decibels.  It also displays the cents offset for each
note too, for analyzing false beats, etc.  This isn't done yet, but I'm
working on it!  This would be great for before and after pictures of what
the voicing really did to the sound!

I am mainly writing this for investigating why some pianos give strange
or inconsistent results when recorded with Chameleon 2.  There is
something(s) weird going on in the partials with some pianos ( but we
knew that... ;-)

Dean

PS Allen, Could you include you last name in you signature?  Thanks!  :-)

* Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                    Sanderson Accu-Tuner      *
* REYBURN PIANO SERVICE, INC.             Authorized Distributor    *
* 2695 Indian Lakes Rd, NE               "Software Solutions        *
* Cedar Springs, MI  49319               for Piano Technicians"     *
* Me: 616-696-0500  Fax: 616-696-8121    75601.2765@compuserve.com  *
*              (Watch this space for our WWW page soon!)            *