Pin Dope AND Hot Stuff AND Dampp-Chasers

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 11:52:55 -0600 (CST)

Dave,
   Since you brought it up, I have two questions, since a lot of us CAUT's
also have to do harpsichord work with very little background in it.

   1. What exactly is rag paper?
and somewhat related,
   2. When removing and replacing a tuning pin on a harpsichord, do you need
to wear gloves (or something) to keep from getting any finger oils on the
pin threads?

   I have not had any problems with jumpy pins in the past, but the last one
I replaced does jump a little. Maybe I had some oily something on my hands?
Also the pin is now a little too loose. (FYI, the harpsichord is a Phillips
zither pin type.)
   Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Avery Todd