butt springs

Barrie Heaton piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 16:55:49 +0000

Hi Bob,

I doubt it would be moths in my experience sring cord is one of the last
things they go for.  It is more likely corrosion on the metal that
Yhamaha uses for their springs in the UK we tend to replace the steel
butt sprintgs with brass ones.  The spring cord we use is a heavy duty
cotton the sort shoe makers use preferably waxed.

If you decide to replace the spring cords it is quicker if you use a
jig.

 To make the jig you will need the following:

        1. A peice of wood 2"x 1"x 8"
        2. A hammershank and one centre pin.

Take a hammershank drill, approximately an inch from the end drill a
hole for the shank, cut your shank an inch long and glue in to pre-
drilled hole.  Leave approximately quarter of an inch of the shank
protuding out.  Place a flange which has a good loop on to the shank,
(through the part where the screw should go on the flange)you may have
to file down the hammershank to fit, but you want an nice snug fit. Take
your centrepin put it in to the mouth of the flange and draw it up to
the loop then knock the centrepin or nail if you wish in to the peice of
wood this then will give you an acurate measurement each time.

Method.

You will need another centrepin a centrepin holder, a not too sharp
knife, some glue (PVA) and cocktail stick.

Place your flange on to the hammersxhank,  grip hold of the old loop and
pull up this if your lucky will remove the loop cord from the flange
cord channels,  take your centrepin holder with pin  and draw along the
loop cord channels with the sharp end,  this will clean out old glue and
make room for the new.  With your cocktail shick apply some glue to both
channels place the cord on the channel furtherest away holding down with
your second index finger on your lefthand,  with your other hand wrap
the cord round the pin and place it on top of the channel nearest to
you. With your first index finger  lefthand hold the end of the cord in
position and with your righthand pick up the knife and draw the knife
from the centrepin end of the flange towards your fingers pressing down
firmly (as if you were spreading butter on bread the knife needs to be
at an angle)  when the knife reaches your fingers place the knife
upright and draw towards you this will cut the cord.  Repeat 88 times.

A damp cloth is handy to wipe off any excess glue that builds up on the
knife with a little practice you should be able to replace full sets of
flanges in an hour and fiftteen minutes.  Depending on how much you pay
yourself an hour I am sure it works out cheaper but not faster than new
flanges.

One last thing all the cotton I use comes on bobbins and I have a
balancerail pin hammered in the other end of the piece of wood to place
the cotton bobbin on so it does not wander off during the process.

The UK changing spring cord is just one of those every day little jobs
to do when there is nout on the box just switch off your brain and
listen to some music.

Yours

Barrie.

In article <199602012001.MAA12028@wiley.csusb.edu>, Bob Simmons
<bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu> writes
>I've got a Yamaha console (about 13 yrs. old) that has suddenly
>developed a problem with the loops, which hold the hammer return
springs,
>starting to break. (Schwander style, you know). Why would these be
>breaking? I'm wondering if the material of the loops is not treated
with
>moth repellant, and if so may have been weakened by little critters?
Would
>some type of corrosion on the springs have begun to act as an abrasive?
>
>By the way, what material should I replace these with? I've used dental
>floss for repairs, but I'm sure that's not the appropriate material
>(actually I'm not sure, but I'm guessing). But first I want to have at
>least a theory of what has caused the problem so it doesn't come back
as
>soon as I'm done.
>
>Bob Simmons, RPT
>CSU San Bernardino

                        \ | /
                        (o o)
---------------------oOO--U--OOo----------------------------
                   Barrie Heaton MABPT MIMIT

                 pgp  key on request
     If the Bible is evidence that God exsits?
    Are commics evidence that Supper-Man exists!

                        \ | /
                        (o o)
                   Barrie Heaton
           Email piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
                 pgp  key on request
     If the Bible is evidence that God exsits?
    Are commics evidence that Supper-Man exists!

End of PIANOTECH Digest 209
.