geometry/friction

Dennis Johnson djohn@skypoint.com
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 22:40:21 -0600

>     While I don't rule it out, I don't necessarily agree with DJ that
>     this is due to heavier action parts. I would agree that heavier
>     action parts (hammers and shanks specifically) could cause faster
>     knuckle core compression, and, without *any* lubrication,
>     accelerated leather wear.......
>    __________

Thanks Jim, you made some very good points. I should not have implied that
heavy parts are THE root cause of our friction problems, but we probably
would agree that strike weight does have relevant impact on friction at the
knuckle/jack point.  Perhaps, in at least this one regard, heavy hammers
are indeed less forgiving.

BTW, I don't personally get carried away with the lubricant either, and
argee with your suggestions, but I do favor slightly lower strike weights.
Is it just my imagination, or does it seem that once you start using it on
a set, you will forever be needing it?

Dennis Johnson
djohn@skypoint.com