Tuning instability question

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 23:08:54 -0600

      The Hamburg D in question is from the 1970's and was re-strung 2
months ago, and was used in a recording session immediately afterwards with
little problem. I did all of the usual tapping of strings and plate bolts,
etc. I've noticed with the Accutuner, that in the mid-treble you can continue
to pound and get the note to drift no matter what. Come to think of it, the
thing was re-strung with Yamaha tuning pins, I think.  Anyone have any
negative experience using these on Steinway blocks? They do feel different
than other pins...cut versus rolled threads and all.
      I'll tap the string again, as well as snug down the rim bolts.

John Minor
Piano Technician
University of Illinois
jminor@uiuc.edu