Tuning instability question

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 08:46:15 -0600

>        We're having some trouble with our Hamburg Steinway D going out of
>tune during performances(it seems to be getting worse) and wonder if the
>extreme low humidity in the hall could be a factor. The entire building is
>without humidity, so the piano has been at 25% RH for a month now. It DOES
>jump up to 33%, but it pretty much stays at 20-25%. The question is:
>
> Will constant low humidity cause tuning instability? I'd appreciate
>answers from those who have had experience with these conditions.
>Thanks...
>
>John Minor
>Piano Technician
>University of Illinois
>jminor@uiuc.edu

Joihn,

That would be my guess.  Our German does not like low humidity.  I take
readings constantly and call my buddy in the heating dept. if we get below
45%. The voicing goes as well as the tuning and I don't have to look at the
gauge to tell  the humidity level.
        I have an Imperial that I keep at the same pitch.  They do not
react the same to changes in humidity, but the both change when there is
some variation. Summer finds us at around 60-70%, which gives me a higher
pitch and not as sharp attack for voicing.  The sound from both pianos is
more mellow, round and more sustain.
        What I have not been able to determine is when we have 50% in the
Winter and 50% in Spring or Summer the pitch will actually be alittle
sharper than A-440.  That doesn't make much sense to me, because I thought
50%  humidity would be the same, but I have to pull the pitch down to keep
it at 440 in the Summer. However, the temperature is higher in the Summer,
going up to 72* but in the Winter we average around 68*.  Maybe that is a
factor.  Any comments.

                      PIANOTECH Digest 211

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Tuning instability question
      by mckonejw@skypoint.com (John W. McKone)
  2) Re: Mason & Hamlin
      by johnsond@stolaf.edu (Dennis Johnson)
  3) smooth strike ratios
      by johnsond@stolaf.edu (Dennis Johnson)
  4) Re: hammer butt springs
      by Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
  5) Re tuning instability
      by Kenneth Sloane <Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu>
  6) Re Tuning Instability
      by Kenneth Sloane <Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu>
  7) Concerns about excessive humidity in cccold temperatures
      by DAMPPCHASR@aol.com
  8) Re: Tuning instability question
      by Wippen@aol.com
  9) Mason & Hamlin CC