Lap Top Computer

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 23:02:43 -0500

Hey, Dick Day:
If I knew what platform (WinTel or Mac) you were on (or about to climb onto),
I could tell you about all the fun I'm having on my Mac. Spreadsheets for
time cost accounting in the shop, and page layout for
"Steinway-Grand-For-Sale" mailings and other in-house promotional graphics.
Both Doug Tybor (aka "BubbaNimrod") an I are using a Mac-only database,
Panorama, with a strong macro programming language for customer files.
Everytime I open my WBPS-CUS file, the program checks the current date for
the month of the year and selects all customers to whom I've made a promise
of service in that month and presents it in a report window.

My rebuild estimating file set (78K the entire set) has one file in which
each item of merchandise from a vendor or section of my labor or otherwise
option therein, is treated as a "part". In this file the actual estimate is
worked up. From there the data goes to a proposal file in which each record
is one proposal (and hopefully later a contract) for a particular
piano/customer.

A third file is the database version of the time costing spreadsheet. I'm
glad to have time costing integrated into this file set because as I head
into the sheet with the contracted work, this file can look back at the parts
file, see which line items of labor go into the total job, select those parts
and from that list of labor items, make up a shop log sheet with a left-hand
column of the labor items with the individual steps which make up each labor
item, along with the net time figures (in fractions of hours) which were
chosen in the costing process. (For instance, in the keyframe and keyboard
area, there are two ways of going through it--the quick and dirty, and the
lovingly tender-- along with six options including rebushing, balance hole
work, and various amounts of fresh felt.) This worksheet is what I use to log
the daily net time: having the net time for each  of the individual steps on
the same sheet lets me know whether I'm over or under the time on which the
estimate was based, and can help me project the remaining time.

That's how the costing file is used during the rebuild. At the end of the
job, the log sheet's net time figures go into the costing file as yet another
field (if you catch my lingo). In one file I have the costed-out figures as
well as the real-world figures which accumulate with each job. In that form,
adjusting the costing to reflect the way things are actually happening on the
job is a snap. With the costing adjusted here, a look-up macro updates the
parts file.

<<Also does anybody have a feel for how the IRS feels about computer kept
milage logs, etc.>>

Your accountant or tax preparer should know the rulings on this. But if you
asked me, I would much prefer to hand the IRS a paper record and never let
them guess that I was ever doing it on a computer.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will take
appropriate measures".......Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway