soundboard shims & glue

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 10:14 -0600 (CST)

>>3. Isn't a hard glue joint a high impedence structure, more likely to
>>reflect sound back, than to pass it on to the rest of the board
>
>Sound waves travel along the grain of the spruce, the amount of grain lost
>to cracks (even huge ones) can be calculated to less than 5 % of the boards
>total surface area. *in most cases*
>>
>>4. doesn't most of the sound get from the bridges to the outside of the
>>board through the ribs anyway?
>
>A secondary function of ribs, the primary being keeping soundboard crown
>intact.
>Rob Kiddell
>C.A.P.T.
>P.T.G. Associate
>Edmonton, AB, Canada

If soundwaves are travelling along the grain (which I agree they do) then
how else does sound get to the outer reaches of the board, than through the
ribs (and to a lesser extent the rim, depending on the design philosophy of
a particular piano). I don't see this function as secondary to the crowning
fuction of ribs.  Ribs, it seems to me perform a series of interalated tasks
that integrate nicely to allow boards to do what they do...

John W. McKone, RPT
Operations Manager
Haugen's Pianos
Twin Cities