Concert tuning stability fuse

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 22:51:21 -0500

Steve Brady raises the issue of lubricants and invites experiences.

It seems logical enough for us to lubricate something which is both rusty and
seizing up.  Trying to accomplish a tuning on those Steinway 45" uprights
without some lubrication is virtually impossible.  The string resists,
resists, resists and then all at once it ...releases and goes way too far the
opposite direction.  R-r-r-r-rrrr!!!!

One lubricant which I have used and will NOT use anymore is that Teflon
SuperLube which comes in a tube with a hypo oiler tip.   It did the job
but... over time (1 year) it reduced to a sticky residue which impeded the
vibration of the string.   I had used it at the pressure bar.  So what was
very good at first was bad at last.

Does anybody know what the lubricating agent is in Protek CPL?  Whatever it
is, it must not reduce or evaporate to a gummy substance over time.
BTW,  I'd like to know why this liquid costs $40.00 per quart? ($160 per
gallon?)  Is it a derivitive of a rare rain forest nut?  How about a Material
Safety Data Sheet on it?

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com