Protek

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Thu, 08 Feb 1996 09:22:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Keith A. McGavern wrote:

> To date I have used it to repair a clock mechanism that no longer turned,
> just a drop or two, and it was fixed.  Door hinges that made noises, added
> just enough drops until it went away.  Electric nose hair trimmer, just a
(and the list continues...)

After Desert Storm Gulf War, a Marine who fought in the war spotted a
bottle of Protek CPL on my desk.  He said that's what he and some other
Marines used to keep their handguns and rifles firing, because the
standard lubricants all attracted dust, sand, and eventually locked or
siezed the firing mechanisms.  He didn't remember how they got the CPL
over there; but it worked.

As for MSDS's, since they are designed to fulfill Right-To-Know
legislation and public safety information, it might not be necessary for
the maker to list the contents unless it contains toxic compounds or an
actual accident has occurred with its use.  Sometimes they are allowed to
list contents as "Trade Secret".  One of the web MSDS sites might list an
MSDS for it, or the manufacturer might provide an MSDS; I don't know. If
anyone wants a list of MSDS web sites, ask; or contact an industrial or
college environmental safety office.

Fred Scoles

                      PIANOTECH Digest 214

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Harpsichords: Rectangular T-pins?
      by johnsond@stolaf.edu (Dennis Johnson)
  2) Re: Protek
      by John Minor <jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
  3) Re: Protek
      by ATodd@UH.EDU
  4) Re: Harpsichords: Rectangular T-pins?
      by ATodd@UH.EDU
  5) Re: Relative vs. Absolute Humidity
      by DAMPPCHASR@aol.com
  6)
      by Pianocraft@aol.com
  7) CAUT rebuilding vs. contract
      by ATodd@UH.EDU
  8) Re: Harpsichords: Rectangular T-pins?
      by Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>
  9) Re: Protek
      by Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>
 10) Humidity
      by Kenneth Sloane <Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu>
 11) Humidity
      by Kenneth Sloane <Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu>
 12)
      by AKarab@aol.com
 13) Re: More on Samick
      by AKarab@aol.com
 14) Re: Lap Top Computer
      by "Dean L. Reyburn, RPT" <75601.2765@compuserve.com>
 15) Re: Harpsichords: Rectangular T-pins?
      by "Dean L. Reyburn, RPT" <75601.2765@compuserve.com>
 16) Tuning machines & RPT exam
      by allen@pengar.com
 17) Re: Concert tuning stability fuse