Concert tuning stability fuse

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 09 Feb 1996 18:46:28 -0500

>  I have always tuned using hard test blows but it has caused me some
>ploblems.
>
>     First It is hard on my ears . In fact my ears use to actually hurt
after
>a day of tuning  especially while tuning the notes in the High treble using
>repeated hard blows.
>
>    Second, I found I was much too tense while tuning , finding it hard to
>relax while continuously switching back and forth between soft blows and
loud
>blows. I tended to tense up while stricking hard blows and found myself
 with
>sore tense soulders and neck at the end of the day.
>
>   Third, I find the hard test blows hard on the nerves and I believe they
>interfere with listening because I tend to want to not here such a loud
sound
> It interferes with my concentration.

Dear Sir,
I have found earplugs useful in this situation. Check the archives for
previous discussion on this. I have used them for six years and find I tune
better now than then. Another point- I try to get the piano as close as I can
before pounding it in. IOW, at pitch across the scale with the unisons pulled
in. I would rather go across the whole instrument quickly,  then come back
and retune with stronger blows. I don't find a discrepancy between good
hammer technique and hard blows to settle strings, I use both to the best of
my ability. I do find the combination of pounding and pitch changing
unfruitful. I hope this helps.

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.