tuning stability fuse

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 10:38:12 -0500

>P.S.  >==> A valuable asset is to  learn to tune opposite handed.  What if a
>shoulder problem all of a sudden rendered you unable to lift the tuning
>hammer arm??  Pitch raises, being coarse tunings, are a good place to
>practise with the opposite side. It also helps restore the muscular balance
> that we spend our careers upsetting, by our strange asymetrical working
>posture.

Ed,
This has been my experience also. I am right handed and had a bit of trouble
with my right elbow eight years ago because I was tuning too many pianos and
playing too much pool. (almost same motion in a different plane) I was
already tuning unisons with my left hand as well as the bass section. I was
able to tune with my left and rest my right until it healed. Left handed
tuning is particularly handy on grands with the treble section up against a
wall. For those who haven't tried it, I suggest using your opposite hand to
pull up unisons during pitch raises as a starting place. Be aware that you
may need to develop different tuning techniques with different hands.
Regard,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.