Accu-Tuner problems

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 23:54:53 -0600

Part of Kent Swafford's post:
>...As has been noted, the first thing to try when there is
>difficulty getting a note to read is to move the SAT.  A small move of
>only about half the width of the SAT itself is usually sufficient if
>the SAT's mic is in a node...

It's funny no one has mentioned the parallel to this yet.  Just watch
yourself when you aurally tune.  You move around at the piano (body, head,
stand, sit, whatever) just to gain the best reception with your ears, like
turning the dial on an older type radio.  Same concept with SAT.

>...However, there is a certain ebb and flow in the strength
>(relative amplitudes) of the partials as a piano note sounds over
>time.  Therefore, if you let a note sound long enough (maybe several
>seconds), there is likely to be a time in there somewhere where the
>partial the SAT is trying to read will be strong enough to generate a
>reading.  True, the reading may be fleeting, but I always seem to be
>able to read every note if I am patient...

Absolutely, and plucking the string in special situations is always an
option.  The SAT is an extension of the user.  Like I am using this
computer as an extension to implement an idea or thought to others.

>--For example, why couldn't the pages of memory "wrap"?  Wouldn't it
>be neat if NOTE UP from C8 would bring you to A0?
>
>--Wouldn't it be useful to be able to program the MEMORY MODE to step
>through the notes of the piano in the order of your favorite
>temperament sequence, instead of limiting you to the ascending or
>descending chromatic scale?  This would greatly facilitate the
>integration of aural and visual tuning techniques.

Neat ideas, Kent.  Maybe some day, that and even more.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee