Steinway pedal fix

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 00:17:09 -0800

At 03:58 PM 2/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Keith wrote:
>
>I believe he makes the hole larger where the brass rod travels through,
>creates a pilot hole in the underlever lift rail and in the wood lever
>where the brass rod contacts, and makes a wood dowel with a fluted pedal
>pin and punching at each end.  This thereby ends all contact with the area
>that you say is causing the troublesome squeak.
>
>Maybe somebody here on the list has seen this fix in the PT Journal, or can
>also confirm what I am recalling.
>
>I write,
>Yes I recently saw Scott Jones at a 1 day seminar in Seattle, and he
>described this job in detail.  The hole through the keybed needs to be large
>enough that there is no contact at all with the dowell, (in any position of
>the pedal) therefore it does not need to be bushed.  The reason the squeak
>always comes back no matter how else you fix it is that the arcs that the
>trapwork and damper tray (at either end of the brass rod) move each end of
>the rod in opposite directions fore and aft, mucho friction.
>
>Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle

All,

On the other hand, if you are fortunate enough not to have had this
questionable procedure performed, cleaning, polishing and rebushing with
quality material, followed by careful regulation will give the performer a
positively bomb-proof, more sensitively controllable pedal.  It is, of
course, more trouble...

Best,

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT                       14 Pyxie Lane
Piano Technician & Consultant             San Carlos, CA 94070-1506
The Colburn School of Performing Arts           415.592.6620
Los Angeles, CA                           horace@compadept.com