Protek MPL-1 versus VJ-lube

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 09:51:22 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to extend the Protek discussion with questions. Specifically:

- are MPL-1 and 'VJ' lube interchangeable in various usages?
- at what times is MPL-1 used instead of 'VJ' lube?
- at what times is VJ lube superior to MPL-1, if ever?

Play with these variations as much as you wish. The question is,
should we be carrying both when *one* will suffice?

Background for the unitiated: 'VJ' is an abbreviation for Vic Jackson.
In the 'old' days, it was common to use mutton tallow in certain
situations in pianos, along with various greases and talc. Mutton
tallow became progressively harder to find. Vic Jackson is credited
with creating this homogenous mixture -- what I would consider a
super-saturated solution -- of petroleum jelly, talc, and a trace
amount of anhydrous lanolin. Loosely explained, VJ lube can be applied
to unlike surfaces (metal to metal, wood to metal, felt/cloth to wood,
and other combinations) and the appropriate lubricating agent within
the mixture will "kick in".

Thanks/Jim Harvey, RPT