Tuning pins and soap???

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 00:53:42 -0600

I must admit that the following post from Steve Haasch really caught my
attention.

>        This is purely an experimental idea.  I do not have the means to
>test it so I throw it out to you.  Someone may have the means.

Steve, how is it that you can say you don't have the means?  By your next
sentence you indicate that you are tuning a piano.

>        I was tuning a piano. A fellow and I were talking about loose
>tuning pins.  He said, "Why don't you take the pin out and rub it on a bar
>of soap real good and reinsert it into the pinblock?"  He said that the
>carpenter uses this method with screws and that at first the soap will
>lubricate the insertion of the screw into the wood.  Then after a period of
>time the soap changes in character as it dries and acts as a lock tight and
>prevents the screw from backing out on it's own.  It increases the friction
>it takes to remove the screw.  Try this on your test piano!
>
>Is this far fetched?  Probably.
>Will it work?  Only one of you guys with the ability to experiment would be
>able to tell me.  I think that it is worthy of investigation.

I must concur with Les Smith's post, please do investigate on your test
piano, and let us know what you find out.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee