Instrument condition

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:32:36 -0600 (CST)

Allen,

RE: Do you follow Avery's procedure & do the high end before the base?  I
been starting with F3 and working down to A0 and then from F#3 up.
Maybe that is my problem.  I think the base strings put more tension
on the piano; maybe I should do them last??

   That was one comment I forgot to mention in my previous post. I do the
bass "almost" last because I have always been taught that you shouldn't
pull them as far above pitch as you can plain strings because of the
possibility of some of the winding becoming loose. If you try to pull them
as much sharp as the higher strings, I would think the danger of breakage
would also be greater because of the thicker core wire. Am I correct in this
list?
   Thanks for bringing that up.

Avery Todd, RPT
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu

P.S. to Barb

RE: Finally something I encounter all the time!! (And univeristy people probably
encounter seldom.)

   It ain't necessarily so. I love to come in on Monday morning and find
out that our heating system acted up over the weekend and many of the rooms
stayed 80 degrees plus for the entire time. It's happened.
   Also, I hate to admit, with 115 pianos to service there are going to be
some that I can't get to often enough and if it happens to be at the end
of the winter when I do, there's a good likelihood the piano will need a
raise.
   Also, don't forget about those tunings we do off campus to supplement
the wonderful salary most of us get!!!!