The metal tuning pin insert shims.

L. Davidson Lamoreaux 102555.33@compuserve.com
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 01:50:40 -0500 (EST)

RE: metal insert shims.
Dear Newton Hunt:

I agree with you totally that those inserts don't work. I've seen them attempted
on Steinways where there is no tuning pin bushing and there is no room for the
metal tuning pin insertshims to fit with an oversized pin. I have been able to
remove a metal shim and use successfully a shim made from cloth sanding belt and
actually pull a stable enough pin up to pitch and have it hold long enough to be
useful. For many years I've used the cloth sanding belt shim to good success and
have not pinned any repairs with oversized pins--unless the pin was already
oversized. On those Stwys and Mason &Hamlins with no T.P. bushings the most
important thing to achieve seems to be to get the pin away from the plate--it
just sits there and spins otherwise but once it is jacked away from the plate it
grips the wood better. Some of my thoughts anyway. Good to see this interesting
discussion.  David Lamoreaux, RPT
Compuserve #102555.33