News Flash - Kimball is gone!

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:16:34 -0500

>Just heard on the National ABC radio news that Kimball Piano is no more. No
>details were given.
>
>Leaves a lot of questions unanswered, like Bosendorfer, etc.
>

>Dave Stocker
>firtree@aol.com
>Tumwater, WA

Here is the full text of Kimball's press release:

KIMBALL TO DISCONTINUE DOMESTIC WHOLESALE PIANO SALES AND ASSEMBLY

Jasper, IN (February 13, 1996) -- The Kimball International, Inc. board of
directors today approved the company's intentions to cease domestic piano
operations and formally align those capacities into the contract furniture
and cabinets group.

Kimball indicated that domestic piano sales and assembly will be gradually
phased out in the coming months.  Employee redeployment and dealership
support will be at the forefront during the transition.  All ongoing
commitments will be honored as the company strives to maximize asset
utilization and minimize go-forward contingencies.

"Our Piano Group has done a commendable job in 'right sizing' themselves to
parallel the dramatic decline in the domestic piano market over the last
fifteen years," said John B. Habig, Senior Executive Vice President,
Operations Officer, Kimball International, Inc.  "Since the industry's peak
in the late 1970's, our West Baden and French Lick, IN business units have
continuously refocused their strategies to a variety of furniture related and
contract electronics manufacturing capabilities, including piano cabinets
themselves.  We remain committed as a high value cabinet supplier to the
piano market.  As part of the realignment, the West Baden facility will be
renamed Springs Valley Manufacturing."

The company anticipates establishing a reserve for discontinuing the piano
product line in the current fiscal year.  A charge, expected to range between
$ .09 and $ .11 per Class B share, will be recorded in March to cover the
incremental costs related to exiting this product line.

"This realignment is a direct result of the domestic piano market's
evaporation to less than 25% of its peak volume levels," said Douglas A.
Habig, President and Chief Executive Officer, Kimball International, Inc.
 "The Piano Group's evolvement into a viable contract supplier is a testament
to their flexibility and willingness to redirect their core competencies.
 Realizing pianos have been a large part of our company's heritage,
sensitivities to employees, community, customers and suppliers have
complicated our shorter term 'fixes' over the past few years.  This strategic
repositioning will now allow us to eliminate the financial underperformance
experienced in this division as they become better linked with our overall
corporate business plan.  It is consistent with our longer term pursuit of
growing Share Owner return."

Kimball International, Inc. is a diversified furniture and electronics
manufacturer with fiscal year 1995 Sales of $900 million.  Headquartered in
Jasper, IN, the company's Class B common stock is traded on the NASDAQ
National Market under the symbol KBALB.

--end of Press Release--

Note:  Kimball will continue to make piano cabinets for other piano
manufacturers, as they have done for some time now.  Also, Bosendorfer will
not, to my knowledge, be affected at all by this.  They are a separate
division of Kimball International, Inc.  Kimball will continue to honor the
warranties on its pianos.  Roger Weisensteiner said he will continue to
handle warranty issues for Kimball.

Larry Fine