Help, URGENT!

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 00:40:32 -0500

Marnie,

We too ran across a Fischer with the same problem. The crack was in the
treble area  strut.  Closer examination revealed a stupid flaw in the design
underneath where a nose bolt was screwed into a floating 11/2" by 6"  board.
 The board came out from the top of the belly rail, apparently only glued to
the top of the belly rail, and the nose bolt was screwed into it, not a frame
beam.  (This piano had no frame beams.)  So as the nose bolt attempted to
hold the plate down, against the upward pull of the string tension, this
board bowed and rose upwards, allowing the plate strut to expand upwards, and
crack from the top of the strut down. In our piano the crack hadn't traveled
entirely through to the bottom of the strut.

We opened up the crack and found evidence of a factory braze type repair
under the finish.  They knew there was a problem.  Imagine producing
something that stupid though and you and I are trying to earn a living
against such a current?

We did devise a repair which involved bolting that board to the belly rail,
with through bolts, so that the string tension couldn't budge it toward the
plate.  In this particular design it wouldn't be too difficult to demonstrate
the manufacturer's folly in a court of law.  A nose bolt into an unsecured
board.  We aren't going to fall for that!

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
PIANOBIZ@AOL.COM