red hammers

Bill Stratton bill.stratton@chemek.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 23:22:00 +0000 (GMT)

A first timer; a lurker for awhile now.

Recently I tuned an old Kranich & Bach upright (serial #32169).  It was
interesting to me in that it had red hammers.  Having never seen such,
it caught my attention. I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on
this as to how many makers put red hammers in their pianos and why. The
felt was clearly red before the hammer was made.

Secondly, after several years of using an acetone and plastic key
mixture to harden hammers, I've decided to try acetone and sanding
sealer.  Anyone have a particular brand and strength they like?  Also,
will this solution cause any problems on a hammer that has the plastic
hardener?  My problem is a set of "genuine" Steinway hammers I put on a
D several years ago.  From the beginning they were absolutely mush--you
couldn't hear it across the room.  I have learned a lot about voicing on
this set of hammers. After several years, I have it sounding quite nice
(over the stated objections from the piano faculty about using hardener
of any kind--they thought we should just play it in ((yea, sure. Then
how come they were always complaining about how dead the piano was))).
While it sounds pretty good now, it still isn't quite perfect. A few
notes are still a little dull when playing forte and louder.  I will be
filing soon and want something else to use to even things out and
perhaps finally getting that last degree of tone quality that I know is
there.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Bill Stratton  RPT