text reader

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:42:34 -0800

At 10:17 AM 2/19/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I have suddenly begun to get all of the "control" characters when I download
>the condensed version of pianotech.  I don't believe that this has happened
>before..  I'm on AOL, and am downloading to the download folder, then reading
>it using my Windows '95 text reader.  Any suggestions on how I can download
>these files and read them in a more recognizable form.  All the text is
>there, but I am distracted by all the = at the end of lines, etc.
>Tom Thompson

Tom,

Eudora Pro now has a 32bit win95 version out that seems more stable under
win95 than the 16bit version is.

I'm not that familiar with AOL, but you might also check to see if you need
to change any settings to achieve better results.

Also, having been with Compuserve for years, I find myself using a regular
internet provider for anything not directly related to CIS communication or
activity.  While greatly improved, their internet connectivity is still slow
and a little unwieldy, compared to using some combination of things like
TrumpetWinsock, Netscape and Eudora.

All things being equal, however, it will be a whilebefore win95 is really
stable.  If you use/need that kind of power, consider using NT Workstation,
which now has a win95-like front end which may be downloaded from MS.

Hope this is of some value.  Please post privately if you need additional help.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley                             Email: horace@compadept.com
CompAdept Corporation                      Voice: (415) 988-9560 x203
1032 Elwell Court, Suite 240                   Fax: (415)   988-9905
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4309                       http://www.compadept.com