Stein..Player

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:35:50 -0500

Les;
 Thanks for the prompt reply.  The fallboard decal was original (or appeared
to be) and the trap work is different from the Duo-Art, there is no
connection, and apparently never was any connection, from the shift pedal
(una-corda) to the trap work on the bass side of the piano; or on the treble
side for that matter.  As to whether or not there was a mechanism for the
hammers to be raised, there does not seem to have been any allowances made
for that and there was no mechanism as such with the piano.  I have called
Steve at S&S about this and he confirmed that some Stein's had Ampico
Reproducers, however they were not able to answer my questions. This was a
strange bird for me too.
  There is the standard Duo Art hinged box on top of the action cavitybut
there is where the similarity ends. (no drawer)
 Les this is a first time for me too !! I've never seen anything like it from
Steinway.
I can make a lever arm, push block and groove the backrail--I am just hoping
that someone will know of a better way
 Again Les, thanks for such a quick response.
Jim Bryant (FL)