Slow Hammer Return

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:09:22 -0600

Continuing with Dick Day's post:
>Thanks for your interest.  It would be easiest if I told you that everything
>related to that particular key moved freely.  I removed the whippen, and the
>hammer flopped back to rest in a normal manor...

It would be best to remove the hammer assembly and check the hammer flange
for freedom of movement instead of the method you have described.

>I removed the key and checked
>for tightness at the center and back rail...

??  There are three places for potential excess friction in the keyarm.
The balance rail bushings, the front rail bushings, and the balance rail
hole.  Very important areas!

>Every moving part in the whippen
>moved easily and returned to rest position...

With the wippen removed from the action, the wippen flange would be the
main area of focus here for freedom of movement.

And, there should be no foreign objects restricting the movement of the
action parts, and the neighbor action parts should in no way be touching or
interfering with the movement of the action parts.

Now unless my memory is failing me, or unless someone else can offer
addtional information, these items addressed properly will in most
situations rectify this slow returning hammer long before modifying the
keyweights.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University