Stein..Player

Tom Rush tom@tarush.chattanooga.net
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 07:43:33 -0500

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Jim Bryant <JIMRPT@aol.com> wrote:

> [snip]... We rebuilt the
> piano (sounds pretty good) and it is functioning in all repects except for
> the shift pedal.----
> 1.The lever arm from the player does not extend into the keyframe cavity but
> stops flush with the top of the keybed.
> 2. There is nothing in any of the parts left over from the player that would
> make the shift lever function.
> 3. There does not appear to have ever been any connection from the shift
> lever to the keyframe,(no rub marks).

Jim,

I don't have as much experience with these Steinway players as Les does;
most of the ones I have worked on have had the player removed, and there
is no 'box of parts'.

However, I recall at least two that had a small wooden block that was
screwed onto the bottom of the keyframe, and this was what the shift
lever worked on.  I had to remove this to pull the action.  (On a DuoArt
with the player action still installed, it's necessary to remove all the
blocks that the hoses are attached to as well.)

Is there an opening in the keybed on the treble side of the lever?  If
so, this may be the kind of setup your piano had, and it would be simple
to make a replacement block if you can't find it in the box.

Good Luck.
--
Tom Rush
tom@tarush.chattanooga.net