Steinway O (was RE: Stein..Player)

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:16:52 -0600 (CST)

Les,
   In regards to your comment about the old O's being superb instruments, we
have one here at the school (not a player), #148290 (1911?). The piano is,
shall we say, "well" used, but the case is in terrible condition. Compared
to about 20 "L's" we have, do you think it would be worth my effort to try
and get the money to have it refinished and rebuilt? It's one of the few
wood type finishes we have. Most are ebony. My main concern would be the
soundboard. It's on it's side right now because it was in such bad shape
and in the way in the room where it was located, I just decided to store it,
hoping to find a way to do some major work on it so it would at least be
usable.
   At this time, it would be hard enough to come up with the money for
refinishing, let alone a new soundboard. And it IS about 85 years old. I
don't even have enough shop space to put a piano in, let alone do any real
refinishing. At least until our new building is completed, app April, 1997.
   I'd appreciate any thoughts you have, or ammunition you might give me to
use to convince the "powers that be" that it would be worth the investment.
I guess I could do one of those "do-it-yourself" refinishing jobs to make
it look a "little" better, but damn, I hate the thought of doing that.
   Any comments from anyone? Outside of "good luck"!

Avery Todd, RPT
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu