Tight Action Centerw

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:17:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996 bobelue@hiwaay.net wrote:

> A Baldwin Acrosonic, like new, very little use, has extremely sluggish
> hammers, about half or more of them.  Need some opinion on the following:
>   1.  Alcohol (Lavacol?--70% ethyl alcohol, denatured) and water (probably
>       need to repeat application)  Abt a 1:3 mixture
>   2.  Silicon and naptha (which I'm told was recommended by Wurlitzer)
>       Don't know the silicon/naptha ratio; I probably should
>   3.  Protec
>
> Which (if any) of the above is the more appropriate as a first stab at
> solving the problem?
>
> Bobby, the new kid on the block

Hi, Bobby. PROTEK is the way to go. However, if this is the first action
like this that you've encountered, I hope you didn't give the owner an
estimate yet as to how much it would cost to correct the problem. The
slow hammers could just be the tip of the iceberg! If high humidity is
causing tight action centers on the hammer flanges, you can be sure that
the problem has spread to the wippen flanges and jacks as well. You're
going to have to check and probably treat every action center on the
piano in order to get repetition back to where it sould be, or you could
be facing repeated callbacks from the pianos owner. If you should find
that the problem has spread to the jacks and wippen flanges as well, the
Protek treatment may only give short-term relief if the humidity in the
environment surrounding the piano remains high. So you probably should
consider installing a Dampp-Chaser in this piano as well. If this is
the first sluggish action that you've encountered, consider it a learn-
experience. The NEXT time you encounter one, you'll be aware of  the
considerable amount of time that cam be involved in correcting the
problem and hopefully charge accordingly. Have fun!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net