SHOP HUMIDITY ?,s

Lorlin D. Barber ldb@commonlink.com
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:52:03 +0000 (GMT)

I have an early 20's house with a tuck-under garage. I am now converting this
20'x 24' area into a piano shop. The exterior walls are tile block and floor
is concrete. I want to achieve a low relative humidity climate.

I have been told that the walls (mostly half below ground level) won't
increase humidity through seeping, they will simply cause condensation. This
I interpret as meaning that won't be a problem if a dehumidifier is run.

Concrete floors are a source of moisture if cracked or recently layed. As
little as a half-inch cover ("slurry") of concrete takes about 90 days to
release all its moisture.

I'm considering a floor covering of some sort, maybe wood with a plastic
sheet vapor barrier.

Aside from what has been suggested to me about the shop area, what input do
you have? Is there any guidelines published that have proven to yield good
results for a piano shop?

Thanks Much!

Lorlin Barber, RPT