Baldwin Pinblocks

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:41:11 -0500 (EST)

At 10:39 PM 2/22/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I've recently learned from two major rebuilders in this area that the
>Baldwin 32 ply pinblock used in their grands is the first thing they replace
>if they have to do anything involving restringing because they are prone to
>have jumpy tuning pins.  The resourcenol soaked plys do indeed generate a
>less than smooth feel to the pin, and the block will indeed most likely out
>last anything else out there, but is the jumpyness of the tuning pin,
>commonly found in the Baldwin 32 ply pinblock pianos so different than that
>found in the difficulty in tuning any other brand such as Steinway, Kimball,
>Mason & Hamlin, and the like??  Is the issue of jumpy pins so prevalent in
>the Baldwin 32 ply pinblock when restrung, that the pinblock should be
>replaced with something other than original, at the first or slightest
>oportunity??  Inquiring minds want to know!!
>
>Lar
>
>                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
>                      Factory Preferred Installer for PianoDisc Products
>                     phone 360-256-2999 or Email larryf@pacifier.com
>                            If at first it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Chi-ching...........3 cents worth please.

        Here's another rebuilder's perspective for what it's worth.  We
enjoy the smoothness of a Bulduc pinblock.  We have had great success using
the multi-laminate (Wisc.) from Pianotek (8 TO 11 PLY). I personally believe
that the more the laminations, the more glue involved with the tuning pin.
We used many blocks and have found that the higher number of laminations
result in jumpy pins.  Once we switched to pinblocks (that of Steinway,
Bulduc, etc.) our end results have improved greatly.  The consistency, I
might add, serves for an advantagous end product.  I credit the selection of
tuning pin an important factor as well.  The Diamond tuning pins (once again
from Pianotek) are extremely consistent pin to pin in overall diameter and
threading.  A high quality block coupled with high quality pins makes for a
most rewarding outcome.  The pricing structure (hey, it's a grand piano-do
it right approach) is not that much different than that of the lesser parts.

        I probably haven't answered all the questions here: but though I
would try to clarify why some rebuilders automatically opt for parts
different than the manufacturers.

Have a great weekend,