Steinway O (was RE: Stein..Player)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:44:35 -0500

Randy;
  I am not challenging you or defending anyone, just some comments on
Steinway the marque, vs Steinway the piano.
I feel that properly constructed, regulated,tuned and voiced, there is no
finer instrument in the world than the Steinway Grand. (Their verticals are a
different matter altogether.) I, as yet, have had limited experience with the
Boston marque and the remarks do not apply from my perspective.
  The mystique and well deserved praise arise from instruments that have been
given proper attention and care for whatever circumstance they find
themselves  placed in. However the run of the mill instrument, as shipped
from the factory, does not approach these standards nor, perhaps, should they
be expected to.  The typical Steinway as received by the typical dealer is
nowhere near the finished product that say the Yamaha is. I am not comparing
the two instruments just commenting on  readiness as they come on the floor.
  Case in point;  Several years ago a well known hotel chain opened a new
facility here. Their initial instrument purchase was for five Steinway
grands, three of these grands were unacceptable for reasons such as,
extremely uneven voicing, very stiff and sluggish actions, action centers
mispinned, hammers not traveled well, bad i.e. very poor finish touchup,
cracks and pressure ridges(outside of the ordinary), etc.  As this situation
called for obvious warranty work Steinway finally complied with repeated
requests, and I believe replaced
two of the instruments and rebuilt/replaced the action of a third.
  I think that in situations like I have described lies the perception that
Steinway is but a shadow of its former self.
   I also have been to the factory and delight in the knowledge that in every
Steinway lies a potential of greatness. In my experience The instrument on
the sales floor is not the instrument in the home or the concert hall.  When
given proper attention Steinway lives up to its reputation. Sad to say
however we remember the dogs that should have been stillborn at the factory.