Earplugs to Hearing Loss

Don Rose drose@sask.maple.net
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 22:30:34 -0800

Hi All,

Just wondering if...

The top note on a piano is only about 4000 hertz (cycles per second). If you can not hear this
you are probably profoundly deaf. Standard hearing test only go to 6000 hertz. I believe
something else is going on. I think many tuners get frustrated with fin
ding neglected pianos and so overcompensate at the top. This seems to be habit forming and each
time the top end gets raised some more. I have followed a tuner (the father of one of my
clients) where A440 (and the rest of the piano) was 100 cents sharp. N
eedless to say it took a lot of time to become stable at A440.

Regards, Don Rose drose@sask.maple.net