Milky Satin Finish

Stan Kroeker skroeker@MTS.Net
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 20:04:33 -0600

About 7 or 8 years ago, we at Samick Canada (R.R. Loewen Distributors)
experienced a similar problem with milky haze only on the satin finishes.
>From that time until the present, Samick used polyurethane, not polyester,
for its satin finishes and I sympathize with anyone who has had to
undertake any manner of touch-up on these 'plastic' finishes.  As they
resist both traditional lacquer and modern polyester techniques, a hybrid
approach is usually necessary.

Our experience with this peculiar haze was that it appeared only where foam
(polystyrene?) packing touched the cabinet parts.  Perhaps the finish
hadn't cured sufficiently and reacted with the residue on the foam packing.
Fortunately, almost all of the affected cabinets were restored by thorough
rubbing with an automotive compound called Car Groom Final Finish.  Other
petroleum based automotive compounds worked effectively as well.

Subsequently, Samick began applying a plastic film 'cling' wrapping on all
pianos prior to packing and the problem hasn't resurfaced (no pun intended)
since.  Trouble is, we purchased many cases of Car Groom which we no longer
required.  My car has never looked so shiny!

Best regards to all,

Stan M. Kroeker, RPT
On the frozen Canadian prairie