CAUT SPECIFIC

Matthew Doudt mjdoudt@iquest.net
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:10 -0500 (EST)

  In the past,  we
>>>have always replaced pianos with the big Yamaha uprights, (they had the
>>>sostenuto),  but since they are no longer cost-reasonable, I have been asked
>>>to compare the Boston Uprights.

Why not consider the Yamaha P22.  They are an excellent piano and designed
for institutional use.  Much more affordable than the U-series.  They don't
have sostenuto but do you need it?

>>>     I have seen the Yamaha pianos give many years of trouble free service;
>>> who has experience with the Boston in high use, school settings?  And if you
>>>please, what are the specifics?  Is the pinning durable?  Do the hammers wear
>>>well? Trapwork function well enough to ignore for a year or so at a time?
>>> Case parts and hardware stay put and not rattle?
>>>      All of this is really useful information,  I appreciate anybodys
>>>thoughts on the marque.

I don't think Boston has been around long enough to test durabality.  I
personally think for the money and sound, the P22 woops even the larger
Bostons.  Like the Steinway vertical, the new Bostons I've seen need alot of
prep to bring out the sound that the Steinway name has supposedly leased to it.

>>>If you want to do something very nice for your school try the  Charles R.
>>Walter piano.
>>Mike Swendsen

I like the Walter piano more than the Boston and I have seen older Walters
in institutional use.  Unfortunately, in a university setting, they were all
in pretty sad shape.  The problems with the Walter pianos may have existed
simply because of lack of care.  They weren't falling apart, just in need of
some serious regulation and lots of voicing.  The Walter is not a cheap
piano and again, the P22 is still the clear choice for sound and price.

One last statement.  One piano I would be careful considering is the Young
Chang U121.  Those that I serviced in a practice room setting for two years
had all but fallen apart in the six years since purchase.  Again, they
weren't serviced all too often, but the heavy abuse from constant play had
definately taken its toll.  They are not irrepairable, but if your situation
is such that the pianos get looked at only a few times a year, this is not
the piano for you.

Peace,
Matthew Doudt