Apsco/Hale Hammer tips

Fred Yonley fyonley@usa.pipeline.com
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:29:46 -0500

On Feb 29, 1996 07:11:06, '"Dean L. Reyburn, RPT" <dean@reyburn.com>'
wrote:

>I simply love my old Hale #3 tuning tips, I use them on Schaff, Ford and
>other hammer heads.  Does anyone know if there is anything as good as
>these out there anywhere?  They seem to fit the pins better than any of
>my other tips.  Apsco only has the Hale #2 tips last time I checked.
>
>Dean

I like the Ford tips and find that the #2 works well on many pins.   Some
pianos need their #1.  Ford's #2 fits more like a Hale #3, but I like the
Ford best. Ford sold his business and the new owners told me that their is
ample supply of the Ford tips. I have some #3 Ford tips for oversized pins
and I also use a Hale #3.  I haven't analized those to determine a
preference.  German pianos seem to need one even smaller than the #1 of
Fords or #1 of Hales.  In that case I use one supplied by Pianotech called
Watanabe. Their #2 tip works well on the Fuerich, Bechstein and Schimmel
Grands.  I haven't tried their #1. The #2 came with the Watanabe hammer I
bought from them. There is also a #3 which I have, but don't believe I have
a found a real need for it. I am not sure without checking if the Watanabe
tip fits the Ford heads. There is some combination of heads and tips that I
have that does not work.

Hope that helps.

Fred Yonley, RPT