celluloid

Mortier@aol.com Mortier@aol.com
Tue, 02 Jan 1996 20:29:10 -0500

I read Newton's comment on the flammability of celluloid in which he likens a
set of keytops to an explosive charge. I must disagree here, as I usually
remove these old tops with an alcohol lamp. Often, a corner will catch fire,
but a quick wave of the key puts it out. I've seen many ivorine keys with
cigarette burns, but never heard of one immolating a pianist. Reminds me of
old movie film made of cellulose nitrate (now it's cellulose acetate). The
former had a nasty rep for fire (see "Cinema Paradiso"). Wonder what ivorine
is made of? Anyway, take an old celluloid key top outside and light it to see
for yourself. APSCO stopped selling ivorine (for insurance reasons, I
suppose), yet they still sell french polish and laquers. In fact, I couldn't
find any US supplier, and got some from England. Strange world.

Philip Jamison