Bass Bridge

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 00:35:47 -0500

>>Does anyone know where I could purchase stock for a bass bridge?  I'd like
>>to try doing it myself.

If you have basic power woodworking tools, you can make your own. We buy
3x3x36 and sometimes 4x4x36  or longer maple turning squares  from a local
lumberyard (MacBeaths in Berkely). We then rip them on the table saw and run
them through an inexpensive Ryobi planer. You can use this for solid bridges
or caps. Any finish thicknessing can be done with a hand plane on the bench
before glue-up or after.

 It's best to hand-pick them to get ones with close, straight, non-curly
grain, and while it would seem  ideal to get grain aligned with one of the
sides so you could have perfectly quarter-sawn wood, it does have a tendency
to tear as it goes through the planer (and for that matter, when hand-planing
after the stock is glued on), so we often get wood where the grain is about
five or  ten degrees off from being aligned with the sides of the board.

I have also used backposts from old junked uprights for stock. Talk about
well-aged !
You have to make sure they're maple, though.

Bob Davis, RPT