Fazioli pianos

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 00:08:59 -0700

>Yes, well over $100,000.00 US.

There was a photo of one on the cover of the October '95 PTJournal... the
description in the sidebar on page five states the 10 foot 2 inch instrument
weighs in at 1650 pounds and carries a price tag of  $147,000 US!

>Much too much.

Too much for that particular instrument or too much for a piano?

It would be what I call a "sea-level piano". They (SLPs) probably do quite
well under the right conditions but at nearly four thousand feet with
temperatures swinging back and forth from down to -40 up to +16 C in the
winter (the traditional time for concerts) they take a great deal of work to
maintain - if they can be maintained at all. Many "imported" pianos seem to
fall into this category under these conditions.

For example, today it reached +6 C under sunshine and the snow was starting
to melt on the streets, but by Friday it will be -30 C again and 20 cm of
snow will have fallen. How can we keep pianos in good condition under these
conditions? The only consolation is that normally we don't get much rain in
the summer so it's never too humid either. If you're interested you can
check the Calgary weather using the WWW at:
http://www.on.doe.ca/text/fpcn11.weg

                                John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com                  Season's Greetings!