working for a university

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 23:35:58 -0500

I do not work for a university (hope David Graham will respond on that score)
but I tuned as a hired hand at a junior college for several years, and I am a
"concert tuner" of high caliber.

My opinion (and that's all it is) is that if you find out the other two guys
are mediocre, you should go for it.  By that I mean that if you were trying
to get the business away from more qualified people, it would be better to
back off until you get your chops up, so to speak.  If you can do some
detective work and find out that those guys are not so hot, then you are
offering a step up in quality.

Why not take the tuning exam, or find a really good tuner who would critique
your work so you know where you stand?  I knew I was getting really good, but
I didn't realize HOW good until I took the exam.  After that, I felt much
more confident when offering my services.

I don't think in your situation you can up your price without showing that
you meet some standardized criteria.  I usually knock $5 off each piano if
they are in the same location because it saves me driving time, etc.  If you
get in with the school and they are happy with your work, you can always up
your price in the future, but you really need to be able to convince them
(which means convincing yourself first) that you are worth it.

Good luck!

Barb Barasa
Sycamore, IL